Low Vision Specialist in Chicago, IL
Dr. Nader Fakhoury
Dr. Fakhoury is a native of Chicago. He is board certified through the American Board Of Medical Optometry, a designation that less than 20% of practicing optometrists have achieved. Dr. Fakhoury is also a member of the International Academy of Low Vision Specialists (IALVS), a select group of doctors focusing on Low Vision Care and helping patients just like you with vision loss. Dr. Fakhoury received his Doctor of Optometry Degree in May 2001 from the University of Missouri and graduated Magna Cum Laude. He then completed a residency program at the Chicago Veterans Administration Hospital specializing in the areas of Eye Disease and Low Vision Rehabilitation.
Dr. Fakhoury has received various awards in the areas of eye diseases and specialty contact lenses. He has also collaborated with clinicians and researchers from Johns Hopkins University Wilmer Eye Institute, Illinois College of Optometry and the Chicago West Side and Hines VA Medical Centers to evaluate the long-term effects of Low Vision Rehabilitation. His special interests lie in the areas of Low Vision Rehabilitation, Glaucoma, Neuro-Ophthalmology, Age Related Macular Degeneration, Diabetic Retinopathy, Ocular Nutrition, and Medically Necessary Contact Lenses.
Dr. Fakhoury is currently working as a staff Optometrist at Cook County Health & Hospital Systems. His professional work experiences also include a private practice Neuro-Ophthalmology center, clinical appointment at the Illinois Eye Institute/Illinois College of Optometry, faculty appointment at Midwestern University School of Optometry and in-patient care at the Hines VA Hospital’s Blind Rehabilitation Center.
Dr. Fakhoury is married and loves spending time with his wife and three beautiful children. In his free time, he enjoys practicing Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, experimenting to find the best smoothie recipes and going on bike rides with his children. He is passionate about Low Vision and is committed to providing exceptional care to the citizens of Chicago and its surrounding suburbs!
- American Board of Certification in Medical Optometry
- International Academy of Low Vision Specialist
- American Optometric Association
- Illinois Optometric Association
- BSK Optometric Honor Society
- Graduated Magna Cum Laude
- BSK Optometric Honor Society
- RGP Lens Institute Award
- Ozarks Clinical Optometry Award
- Ocular Instruments Award of Excellence in Ocular Disease
Professional Experience, Residency and Internships
- Illinois Eye Institute/Illinois College of Optometry: Faculty
- Midwestern University: Faculty
- West Coast Eye Care: NeuroOphthalmology Specialty Practice
- Jesse Brown VA Hospital
- Hines VA Hospital-Blind Rehabilitation Center
- Doheny Eye Institute, University of Southern California Department of Ophthalmology
- Kansas City VA Hospital
- Anheuser-Busch Eye Institute Low Vision Service, Saint Louis University Department of Ophthalmology
- Jewish Center for the Aged Nursing Facility
- University of Missouri: St. Louis School of Optometry Center for Eye Care
By Appointment Only
Hours & Location
709 S Seeley Ave
Chicago, IL 60612